Peer-reviewed Journal Papers (*graduate student paper)
1. *Omer, M., O.J. Idowu, A. Ulery, D. VanLeeuwen, S. Guldan, M. Marsalis, R. Ghimire. 2020. Impacts of selected long-term management practices on arid soil quality. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 75: 143-152.
2. Sainju, U., R. Ghimire, U. Mishra, S. Jagadamma. 2020. Reducing nitrous oxide emissions and enhancing crop yield with crop rotation and nitrogen fertilization. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. DOI: 10.1007/s10705-020-10046-0.
3. Nilahyane, A., R. Ghimire, V.R. Thapa, and U. Sainju. 2020. Cover crop effects on soil carbon dioxide fluxes in a limited-irrigated cropping system. Agrosystems, Geosciences, and Environment. DOI: 10.1002/agg2.20012.
4. Acharya, R.N., R. Ghimire, A. GC, and D. Blayney. 2019. Effect of cover crop on-farm profitability and risk in the Southern High Plains. Sustainability 11(24), 7119. DOI: 10.3390/su11247119.
5. Bista, P., R. Ghimire, S. Machado, and L. Pritchett. 2019. Biochar effects on soil properties and wheat biomass vary with fertility management. Agronomy. 10.3390/agronomy9100623.
6. Ghimire, R., P. Bista, and S. Machado. 2019. Long-term management effects and temperature sensitivity of soil organic carbon in grassland and agricultural soils. Nature Scientific Reports, (2019) 9:12151.
7. *Thapa, V.R., R. Ghimire, B. Duval, and M. Marsalis. 2019. Soil organic carbon and net ecosystem carbon balance in semiarid cropping systems. Agrosystems, Geosciences, and Environment. Agrosystems, Geosciences & Environment. 2:190022.
8. *Acharya, P., R. Ghimire, and Y. Cho. Linking soil health to crop production: Dairy compost application rates affect soil properties and sorghum biomass. Sustainability 2019, 11, 3552; DOI: 10.3390/su11133552.
9. Ghimire, R., V.R. Thapa, A. Cano, and V. Acosta-Martinez. 2019. Soil organic carbon and microbial community responses to croplands and grasslands management. Applied Soil Ecology. 141: 30-37.
10. *Muhammad, I., U.M. Sainju, A. Khan, F. Zhao, R. Ghimire, X. Fu, and J. Wang. 2019. Regulation of soil CO2 and N2O emissions by cover crops: a meta-analysis. Soil and Tillage Research. 192: 103-122.
11. Mesbah, A.O., A. Nilahyane, B. Ghimire, L. Beck, R. Ghimire. 2019. Efficacy of cover crops on weed suppression, wheat yield, and water conservation in winter wheat-sorghum-fallow. Crop Science. 59: 1745-1752. DOI: 10.2135/cropsci2018.12.0753.
12. Ghimire, R., B. Ghimire, A.O. Mesbah, U. Sainju, and O.J. Idowu. 2019. Cover crops effects on soil organic matter and nutrient dynamics in a winter wheat-summer fallow system. Agronomy Journal. 111: 2108-2115. DOI: 10.2134/agronj2018.08.0492.
13. Sainju, U., R. Ghimire, and G. Pradhan. 2019. Dryland agroecosystem nitrogen balance with tillage, cropping sequence, and nitrogen fertilization. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science.182: 374-384. https://doi.org/10.1002/jpln.201800630.
14. *Thapa, V.R., R. Ghimire, M. Mikha, J. Idowu, and M. Marsalis. 2018. Land use systems effects on soil health in drylands. Agricultural and Environmental Letters. Agricultural and Environmental Letters 3:180022. DOI:10.2134/ael2018.05.0022.
15. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, and U. Norton. 2018. Soil organic matter dynamics under irrigated perennial forage-annual crop rotation. Grass and Forage Science. 73: 907-917. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gfs.12378.
16. Wang, J., R. Ghimire, X. Fu, U.M. Sainju, and W. Liu. 2018. Straw mulching increases precipitation storage rather than water use efficiency and dryland winter wheat yield. Agricultural Water Management. 206: 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2018.05.004.
17. Cano, A., A. Nunez, V. Acosta-Martinez, M. Schipanski, R. Ghimire, C. Rice, C. West. 2018. Current knowledge and future research directions of soil health and water conservation in the Ogallala Aquifer region. Geoderma. 238: 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2018.04.027.
18. Ghimire, R., B. Ghimire, A.O. Mesbah, M. O’Neill, J. Idowu, S. Angadi, and M.K. Shukla. 2018. Current status, opportunities, and challenges of cover cropping for sustainable dryland farming in the Southern Great Plains. Journal of Crop Improvement. 32: 579-598. DOI: 10.1080/15427528.2018.1471432.
19. Duval, B., R. Ghimire, M.D. Hartman, and M.A. Marsalis. 2018. Water and nitrogen management effects on semiarid sorghum production and soil trace gas flux under future climate. PlosOne 13(4): e0195782.
20. Rijal, J.P., R. Regmi, R. Ghimire, K. Puri, S Gyawly, and S. Poudel. 2018. Farmers’ knowledge of pesticide safety and pest management: A case study of Vegetable Growers in Chitwan, Nepal. Agriculture, 8(1), 16. http://www.mdpi.com/2077-0472/8/1/16
21. Ghimire, R., S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2018. Decline in soil organic carbon and nitrogen limits yield in wheat-fallow systems. Plant and Soil. 422: 423-435 DOI: 10.1007/s11104-017-3470-z.
22. *Ghimire, B. R. Ghimire, D. VanLeeuwen and A.O. Mesbah. 2017. Cover crop residue inputs and quality effects on soil organic matter mineralization. Sustainability, 9, 2316. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/9/12/2316.
23. Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, and J.B. Norton. 2017. Greenhouse gas fluxes, soil mineral N, and global warming potential in semi-arid winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)-fallow during drought. Journal of Arid Environment. 147: 103-113. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaridenv.2017.09.002
24. Sainju, U.M., B.L. Allen, A.W. Lenssen, and R. Ghimire. 2017. Root biomass, root/shoot ratio, and soil water content under perennial grasses with different nitrogen rates. Field Crops Research. 210: 183-191. DOI: 10.1016/j.fcr.2017.05.029.
25. Rawal, N., R. Ghimire, D.R. Chalise. 2017. Crop yield and soil fertility status of long-term rice-rice-wheat cropping systems. International Journal of Applied Science and Biotechnology. 5: 42-50. DOI: 10.3126/ijasbt.v5i1.17001.
26. Ghimire, R., S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2017. Soil pH, soil organic carbon, nitrogen, and crop yield in wheat-fallow systems. Agronomy Journal. 109: 706–717. Doi: 10.2134/agronj2016.08.0462.
27. Ghimire, R., U. Norton, P. Bista, A. Obour, and J.B. Norton. 2017. Soil organic matter, greenhouse gases, and net global warming potential of irrigated cropping systems. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 107: 49-62. DOI: 10.1007/s10705-016-9811-0.
28. Ghimire, R., S. Lamichhane, B.S. Acharya, P. Bista, and U.M. Sainju. 2017. Tillage, crop residue, and nutrient management effects on soil organic carbon in rice-based cropping systems. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 16: 1-15. DOI: 10.1016/S2095-3119(16)61337-0.
29. Bista, P., S. Machado, S. R. Ghimire, S.J. Del-Grosso, and M. Reyes-Fox. 2016. Simulating soil organic carbon in a wheat-fallow system using the DAYCENT model. Agronomy Journal. 108: 2554-2565. Doi: 10.2134/agronj2016.04.0202.
30. Ghimire, R. and P. Bista. 2016. Crop diversification improves pH of acidic soils. Journal of Crop Improvement. 30: 657-667. DOI: 10.1080/15427528.2016.1219894.
31. Ghimire, R. 2016. Approaches in Cropping Systems Research and Challenges. Advances in Plant and Agricultural Research. 3(2): 00088. DOI: 10.15406/ apar.2016.02.00088
32. Ghimire, R., S. Machado, and K. Rhinhart. 2015. Long-term crop residue and nitrogen management effects on soil profile carbon and nitrogen in wheat-fallow systems. Agronomy Journal 107: 2230-2240. DOI: 10.2134/agronj14.0601.
33. Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, and J.B. Norton. 2015. Greenhouse gas fluxes and soil carbon and nitrogen following single summer tillage. International Journal of Plant and Soil Science 6: 183-193. DOI: 10.9734/IJPSS/2015/16234.
34. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, P.D. Stahl, and U. Norton, 2014. Soil microbial substrate properties and microbial community responses under irrigated organic and reduced-tillage crop and forage production systems. PLoS ONE 9(8): e103901. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103901.
35. Paudel, B., B.S. Acharya, R. Ghimire, K.R. Dahal, and P.Bista. 2014. Adapting agriculture to climate change and variability in Chitwan, Nepal: long-term trends and farmers' perceptions. Agricultural Research 3: 165-174. DOI: 10.1007/s40003-014-0103-0.
36. Ghimire, R. J.B. Norton, and E. Pendall. 2014. Alfalfa-grass biomass, soil organic carbon, and total nitrogen under different management approaches in an irrigated agroecosystem. Plant and Soil 374: 173-184. DOI 10.1007/s11104-013-1854-2.
37. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, U. Norton, J.P. Ritten, P.D. Stahl, and J.M. Krall. 2013. Long-term farming systems research in the central High Plains. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 28: 183–193. DOI 10.1017/S1742170512000208.
38. Ghimire, R., K.R. Adhikari, Z. Chen, S.C. Shah, and K.R. Dahal. 2012. Soil organic carbon sequestration as affected by tillage and crop residue management in the rice-wheat system. Paddy and Water Environment 10: 95-102. DOI: 10.1007/s10333-011-0268-0.
39. Khatiwada, B.P., R. Ghimire, R. Adhikari, and S. Osti. 2012. Increasing crop water productivity through local crops and technologies: a case from the Chepang ethnic community of Nepal. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy, and Environment Special Issue: conference papers. pp 50-54.
40. Bista, P., R. Ghimire, S.C. Shah, and K.R. Pande. 2010. Assessment of soil fertility management practices and their constraints in different geographic locations of Nepal. Forum Geografic 9: 41-48.
41. Ghimire, R., R.K. Basnet, P. Bista, and B. RanaBhat. 2009. Soil quality cards for participatory soil quality assessment in organic and smallholder agriculture. Forum Geografic 8: 72-76.
42. Ghimire, R., S.C. Shah, K.R. Dahal, J.M. Duxbury, and J.G. Lauren. 2008. Tillage and residue management effects on soil organic carbon sequestration in the rice-wheat cropping system of Nepal. Journal of the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science 29: 21-26.
43. Ghimire, R., 2008. Increasing resilience of community on climate change through the application of sloping agriculture land technology and eco-friendly agriculture in Jugedi Khola watershed, Nepal. Forum Geografic 7: 208 – 215.
44. Tiwari, S., R. B. Thapa, and R. Ghimire. 2008. Farmers’ field school in potato: an effective tool for integrated crop management. Journal of Plant Protection 1: 115-121.
45. Ghimire, R., K.R. Dahal, J.G. Lauren, J.M. Duxbury, and S.C. Shah. 2007. Tillage and crop residue management effects on soil organic carbon content in light and heavy soils of Chitwan, Journal of Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science 28: 27-32.
46. Ghimire, R., S.C. Shah, K.R. Dahal, A.K. Shrestha, C. Adhikari, J. G. Lauren, and J.M. Duxbury. 2007. Equation for predicting soil organic carbon using loss on ignition for Chitwan valley soils. Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science Research Advances 1: 229-232.
1. Ghimire, R., P. Bista, and S. Machado. 2020. Crop yield limitation by soil organic matter decline: a case study from the US Pacific Northwest. Assessing Land Degradation.
2. Ghimire, R., U. Sainju, and R. Acharya. 2020. Soil health for food security and agroecosystem resilience. Book: Sustainable, Safe, and Healthy Food in Nepal: Principles and Practices of Food Security. Accepted for publication 3-2-2019.
3. Sainju, U., R. Ghimire, G. Pradhan. 2019. Nitrogen Fertilization I: Impact on Crop, Soil, and Environment. Book: Nitrogen in Agricultural Systems. Intech Open. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.86028.
4. Sainju, U., R. Ghimire, G. Pradhan. 2019. Nitrogen Fertilization II: Management Practices to Sustain Crop Production and Soil and Environmental Quality. Book: Nitrogen in Agricultural Systems. Intech Open. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.86646.
5. Awale, R., R. Ghimire, S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2017. Soil health. In: C. Cruger and G. Yorgey (Eds.). Advances in Sustainable Dryland Farming in the Inland Pacific Northwest. pp 47-98.
6. Bista, P., S. Machado, R. Ghimire, G. Yorgey, D. Wysocki. 2017. Conservation systems. C. Cruger and G. Yorgey (Eds.). Advances in Sustainable Dryland Farming in the Inland Pacific Northwest. pp 99-124.
7. Angadi, S., S. Begna, M.R. Umesh, and R. Ghimire. 2016. Strategies to improve the resiliency of semiarid cropping systems under future climate. In: B.M. Chittapur, A.S. Halepyati, M.R. Umesh, and B.K. Desai (Eds.). Climate-Smart Agriculture: Status and Strategies. University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur, India. pp. 116-120.