Peer-reviewed journal papers (*indicates graduate student paper)
1. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, and U. Norton. 2018. Soil organic matter dynamics under irrigated perennial forage-annual crop rotation systems. Grass and Forage Science. 10.1111/gfs.12378.
2. Wang, J., R. Ghimire, X. Fu, U.M. Sainju, and W. Liu. 2018. Straw mulching increases precipitation storage rather than water use efficiency and dryland winter wheat yield. Agricultural Water Management. 206: 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2018.05.004.
3. Cano, A., A. Nunez, V. Acosta-Martinez, M. Schipanski, R. Ghimire, C. Rice, C. West. Current knowledge and future research directions of soil health and water conservation in the Ogallala Aquifer region. Geoderma. 238: 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2018.04.027.
4. Ghimire, R., B. Ghimire, A.O. Mesbah, M. O’Neill, J. Idowu, S. Angadi, and M.K. Shukla. 2018. Current status, opportunities, and challenges of cover cropping for sustainable dryland farming in the Southern Great Plains. Journal of Crop Improvement. 32: 579-598. https://doi.org/10.1080/15427528.2018.1471432
5. Duval B., R. Ghimire, M.D. Hartman and M.P. Marsalis. Water and nitrogen management effects on semiarid sorghum production and soil trace gas flux under future climate. PlosOne 13(4): e0195782.
6. Rijal, J.P., R. Regmi, R. Ghimire, K. Puri, S Gyawly, S. Poudel. 2018. Farmers’ knowledge on pesticide safety and pest management: A case study of Vegetable Growers in Chitwan, Nepal. Agriculture, 8(1), 16. http://www.mdpi.com/2077-0472/8/1/16
7. Ghimire, R., S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2018. Decline in soil organic carbon and nitrogen limits yield in wheat-fallow systems. Plant and Soil. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-017-3470-z
8. *Ghimire, B. R. Ghimire, D. VanLeeuwen and A.O. Mesbah. 2017. Cover crop residue inputs and quality effects on soil organic matter mineralization. Sustainability, 9, 2316. http://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/9/12/2316.
Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, and J.B. Norton. 2017. Greenhouse gas fluxes, soil mineral N and global warming potential in semi-arid winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)-fallow during drought. Journal of Arid Environment. 147: 103-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2017.09.002
10. Sainju, U.M., B.L. Allen, A.W. Lenssen, and R. Ghimire. 2017. Root biomass, root/shoot ratio, and soil water content under perennial grasses with different nitrogen rates. Field Crops Research. 210: 183-191. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2017.05.029
11. Rawal, N., R. Ghimire, D.R. Chalise. 2017. Crop yield and soil fertility status of long-term rice-rice-wheat cropping systems. International Journal of Applied Science and Biotechnology. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/ijasbt.v5i1.17001
12. Ghimire R., S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2017. Soil pH, soil organic carbon, nitrogen and crop yield in wheat-fallow systems. Agronomy Journal. Doi: 10.2134/agronj2016.08.0462.
13. Ghimire R., U. Norton, P. Bista, A. Obour, and J.B. Norton. 2017. Soil organic matter, greenhouse gases and net global warming potential of irrigated cropping systems. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 107:49-62. DOI: 10.1007/s10705-016-9811-0.
14. Ghimire, R., S. Lamichhane, B.S. Acharya, P. Bista, and U.M. Sainju. 2017. Tillage, crop residue, and nutrient management effects on soil organic carbon in rice-based cropping systems. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 16:1-15. Doi: 10.1016/S2095-3119(16)61337-0
15. Bista, P., S. Machado, S. R. Ghimire, S.J. Del-Grosso, and M. Reyes-Fox. 2016. Simulating soil organic carbon in a wheat – fallow system using the DAYCENT model. Agronomy Journal. 108:2554-2565. Doi: 10.2134/agronj2016.04.0202.
16. Ghimire. R. and P. Bista. 2016. Crop diversification improves pH of acidic soils. Journal of Crop Improvement. 30:657-667. DOI: 10.1080/15427528.2016.1219894.
17. Ghimire R. 2016. Approaches in Cropping Systems Research and Challenges (Invited Opinion). Advances in Plant and Agricultural Research. 3(2): 00088. DOI: 10.15406/ apar.2016.02.00088
18. Ghimire R., S. Machado, and K. Rhinhart. 2015. Long-term crop residue and nitrogen management effects on soil profile carbon and nitrogen in wheat – fallow systems. Agronomy Journal 107:2230-2240. DOI: 10.2134/agronj14.0601.
19. Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, and J.B. Norton. 2015. Greenhouse gas fluxes and soil carbon and nitrogen following single summer tillage. International Journal of Plant and Soil Science 6:183-193. DOI: 10.9734/IJPSS/2015/16234.
20. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, P.D. Stahl, and U. Norton, 2014. Soil microbial substrate properties and microbial community responses under irrigated organic and reduced-tillage crop and forage production systems. PLoS ONE 9(8): e103901. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103901.
Paudel, B., B.S. Acharya, R. Ghimire, K.R. Dahal, and P.Bista. 2014. Adapting agriculture to climate change and variability in Chitwan, Nepal: long-term trends and farmers' perceptions. Agricultural Research 3:165-174. DOI: 10.1007/s40003-014-0103-0
Ghimire, R. J.B. Norton, and E. Pendall. 2014. Alfalfa-grass biomass, soil organic carbon, and total nitrogen under different management approaches in an irrigated agroecosystem. Plant and Soil 374:173-184. DOI 10.1007/s11104-013-1854-2
Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, U. Norton, J.P. Ritten, P.D. Stahl, and J.M. Krall. 2013. Long-term farming systems research in the central High Plains. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 28: 183–193. DOI 10.1017/S1742170512000208
24. Ghimire, R., K.R. Adhikari, Z. Chen, S.C. Shah, and K.R. Dahal. 2012. Soil organic carbon sequestration as affected by tillage and crop residue management in rice-wheat system. Paddy and Water Environment 10: 95-102. DOI 10.1007/s10333-011-0268-0.
25. Khatiwada, B.P., R. Ghimire, R. Adhikari and S. Osti. 2012. Increasing crop water productivity through local crops and technologies: a case from Chepang ethnic community of Nepal. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment Special Issue: conference papers. pp 50-54.
26. Bista, P., R. Ghimire, S.C. Shah, and K.R. Pande. 2010. Assessment of soil fertility management practices and their constraints in different geographic locations of Nepal. Forum Geografic 9: 41-48.
27. Ghimire, R., R.K. Basnet, P. Bista, and B. RanaBhat. 2009. Soil quality cards for participatory soil quality assessment in organic and smallholder agriculture. Forum Geografic 8: 72-76.
28. Ghimire, R., S.C. Shah, K.R. Dahal, J.M. Duxbury, and J.G. Lauren. 2008. Tillage and residue management effects on soil organic carbon sequestration in rice-wheat cropping system of Nepal. Journal of Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science 29: 21-26.
29. Ghimire, R., 2008. Increasing resilience of community on climate change through application of sloping agriculture land technology and eco-friendly agriculture in Jugedi Khola watershed, Nepal. Forum Geografic 7: 208 – 215.
30. Tiwari, S., R. B. Thapa, and R. Ghimire. 2008. Farmers’ field school in potato: an effective tool for integrated crop management. Journal of Plant Protection 1: 115-121.
31. Ghimire, R., K.R. Dahal, J.G. Lauren, J.M. Duxbury, and S.C. Shah. 2007. Tillage and crop residue management effects on soil organic carbon content in light and heavy soils of Chitwan, Journal of Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science 28: 27-32.
32. Ghimire, R., S.C. Shah, K.R. Dahal, A.K. Shrestha, C. Adhikari, J. G. Lauren and J.M. Duxbury. 2007. Equation for predicting soil organic carbon using loss on ignition for Chitwan valley soils. Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science Research Advances 1:229-232.
1. Ghimire, R., U. Sainju, and R. Acharya. 2018. Soil health for food security and agroecosystem resilience. In; Sustainable, Safe and Healthy Food in Nepal: Principles and Practices of Food Security. In review.
2. Sainju, U., R. Ghimire, G. Pradhan. 2018. Nitrogen fertilization for sustainable crop production: a context for Nepal.
3. Awale, R., R. Ghimire, S. Machado, and P. Bista. 2017. Soil health. In: C. Cruger and G. Yorgy (Eds.). Advances in Sustainable Dryland Farming in the Inland Pacific Northwest.
4. Bista, P., S. Machado, R. Ghimire, G. Yorgey, D. Wysocki. 2017. Conservation systems. C. Cruger and G. Yorgy (Eds.). Advances in Sustainable Dryland Farming in the Inland Pacific Northwest.
5. Angadi, S., S. Begna, M.R. Umesh, R. Ghimire. 2016. Strategies to improve resiliency of semiarid cropping systems under future climate. In: B.M. Chittapur, A.S. Halepyati, M.R. Umesh, and B.K. Desai (Eds.). Climate Smart Agriculture: Status and Strategies. University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur, India. pp. 116-120.
Editor reviewed research papers, conference proceedings, and reports
1. GC, A., R. Ghimire, D. Blayney, R. N. Acharya. 2018. Feasibility of using cover crops to enhance soil organic matter and crop yield in New Mexico. Proceedings of the 2018 Southern Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2018, Jacksonville, Florida.
2. Angadi, S., S. Begna, M. Umesh, and R. Ghimire. 2015. Strategies to improve resiliency of semiarid cropping systems under future climate. Climate smart agriculture: lessons learnt, technological advances made and research priorities in SAT. ICAR Winter School, Raichur. India.
3. Ghimire R. and S. Machado. 2015. Soil organic carbon dynamics in Pendleton Long-Term Experiments. Regional Approach to Climate Change for Pacific Northwest Agriculture (REACCH). Year 4 Annual Report, p32-33.
4. Norton, J.B. and R. Ghimire. 2014. Soil microbiology, organic matter, and economics four years after conversion from continuous irrigated corn to crop and forage rotations under typical, reduced tillage, and organic management. Proceedings of the Denver, CO.
5. Ghimire, R. and J.B. Norton. 2013. Nitrogen dynamics in conventional, reduced tillage, and organic irrigated systems: Results of a four-year experiment in Wyoming. Proceedings of the Western Nutrient Management Conference, March 7-8, 2013, Reno, NV.
6. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton and P.D. Stahl. 2012. Alternative soil fertility strategies affect seasonal dynamics of soil microbial communities in crop-livestock system. Proceedings of the Great Plains Soil Fertility Conference, March 6-7, 2012. Denver, CO.
Ghimire R. J.B. Norton, U. Norton, and N.L. Ward. 2011. More than one way to raise a crop. Reflections Magazine.University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
8. Ghimire, R., B. RanaBhat, and R.R. Adhikari. 2011. Empowerment of Tharu community on organic production through farmers’ field school. Proceeding of the 17th International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movement World Congress, September 29 –October 1, 2011, Namyangju, Republic of Korea.
9. Ghimire R. and P. Bista. 2009. Conservation agriculture rally-rounds adaptation to climate change. NGO group bulletin on climate change: Scaling up community based adaptation in Nepal. Local Initiative for Biodiversity Research and Development. Issue 3, December 2009.
10. Ghimire. R. 2008. Global climate change, greenhouse effects and soil organic carbon sequestration. NGO group bulletin on climate change research and development. Local Initiative for Biodiversity Research and Development. August 2008.
11. Ghimire, R., S.C. Shah, K.R. Dahal, J.G. Lauren, and C. Adhikari, 2008. Graham’s Colorimetry as an estimate of soil organic carbon in Chitwan valley soils, Nepal. Proceedings of the Third Conventional of Society of Agricultural Scientists – Nepal, August 27-29, 2008, Kathmandu, Nepal
12. RanaBhat, B. and R. Ghimire. 2008. Promotion of organic vegetable production through farmers’ field school in Chitwan, Nepal. Cultivating the Future Based on Science. 1. 1. Organic Crop Production. Proceedings of the Second Scientific Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research, June 18-20, 2008 in Modena, Italy.
1. Cano, A., A. Nunez, V. Acosta-Martinez, M. Schipanski, R. Ghimire, and C. Rice. 2017. Linking soil health to water conservation in the Ogallala Aquifer region. Colorado Water, special issue – the Ogallala Water, November/December 2017.
2. Idowu, J., S. Angadi, M.K. Darapuneni, and R. Ghimire. 2017. Reducing tillage in arid and semi-arid cropping systems. NMSU Cooperative Extension Services. Guide A-152. http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_a/A152.pdf.
3. Ghimire R. and S. Machado. 2017. Soil acidification impacts crop yield in a wheat – fallow system. Crop and Soil. 50:14-16.
4. Norton, J., R. Ghimire, P. Stahl, J. Ritten, D. Peck, and U. Norton. 2014. Soil quality and the benefits of crop rotation, reduced tillage, and manure application in crop and forage systems. 2014 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
5. Norton, U., P. Bista, R. Ghimire and J.B. Norton. 2014. One-time summer tillage does not negate long-term benefits of no-till. Crop and Soils, May-June 2014.
6. Norton, U., P. Bista, R. Ghimire and J.B. Norton. 2014. One-time summer tillage of chemical fallow in a dryland winter wheat rotation does not negate long-term benefits accrued under no-till management Nutrient digest, Nutrient Management Newsletter for the Western US, Spring 2014.
7. Norton J.B. and R. Ghimire. 2013. Soil quality and the benefits of crop rotation, reduced tillage, and manure application. Nutrient digest, Nutrient Management Newsletter for the Western US, Fall 2013.
8. Ghimire, R., U. Norton, J.B. Norton and P. Bista. 2013. Greenhouse gas emissions from alternative management approaches of irrigated crop and forage production system. 2013 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
9. Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire, J. Norton, and J. Meeks. 2013. Effect of Summer Tillage on Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Organic, Conventional, and No-Till Fallows in Dryland Winter Wheat Production. 2013 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
10. Norton, J.B., R. Ghimire, U. Norton, J. Meeks and S. Paisley. 2012. The sustainable agriculture systems. 2012 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
11. Norton, J.B., R. Ghimire, E. Mukhwana and D. Peck. 2012. Soil Quality under wheat-fallow, minimum-till, and no-till cropping systems. 2012 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
12. Meeks, J., J.B. Norton, R. King, R. Ghimire, U. Norton, P. Bista, J. Ritten, D. Peck. 2012. Long-term project begins yielding results. Reflections Magazine.University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
13. Bista, P., U. Norton, R. Ghimire and J.B. Norton. 2011. Greenhouse gas emissions from dryland winter – wheat fallow system under conventional, no‐till, organic and transition to organic management. 2011 Field days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
14. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, J. Meeks and R. King. 2011. Soil organic matter and microbial dynamics of the SASP. 2011 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
15. Ghimire, R., J.B. Norton, P. Bista and U. Norton. 2011. Trace gas emission from conventional, reduced‐input, and organic approaches of crop–range–livestock farming in Wyoming. 2011 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
16. Gebault King, R., J. Norton, J. Ritten, E. Arnould, M. Press, R. Ghimire and J. Meeks. 2011. Soil Fertility Challenges in Northern High Plains Organic Farming Operations. 2011 Field Days Bulletin, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.